[time-nuts] Loran in the US

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Mon Mar 5 14:19:29 UTC 2012

Poul-Henning wrote:

>Thats why some people in the military is looking into a modern
>more lightweight version of "Tactical Loran" for use when GPS is jammed.

That is a much easier thing -- our military/intelligence complex
(however oxymoronic that notion is) tries very hard to keep its
engagements well away from US soil, so (i) no regulatory approval is
required and (ii) the geographic area of the operating theater is
usually far smaller than the size of the US.  So, we may very well
see the development of mobile beacons for military deployment in
hostile areas, but I very much doubt that we will ever see another
terrestrial beacon system in the US.

Best regards,

Charles