[time-nuts] Agilent 53230A Counter

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Mar 11 16:12:45 UTC 2012

Frank Stellmach wrote:

> The 5370 interpolator obviously was well-respected for its high
> linearity and low jitter, based upon the dual-vernier digital
> interpolator, but other T.I. counters containing analogous
> capacitor-integrators often suffer from non-linearities and higher jitter.

The interpolator in the 531XX series was similar to most of
the other counters, being fairly basic and depending on frequent
calibration to reduce the errors.  I don't know anything about
the current generation.  They were designed in Asia by a completely
different crew.  There is virtually no institutional memory involved.
Sadly, David Chu, the father of the 5370, was let go several years ago.
AFAIK, he was not consulted by the division in Asia that currently
builds counters.

> As agilent obviously does not manufacture the 10811 OCXO anymore, what
> do they use instead, and from which supplier?

Drop in replacements for the 10811 have been available for years from
several suppliers.  The OCXO in the 53230 doesn't compare to the 10811.
It's very likely something out of Asia.

Rick