[time-nuts] New atomic clock

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Tue Mar 13 21:04:57 UTC 2012

The article was accepted for publication on Feb 22, 2012    in
Physical Review Letters.
The March issue has already been published, so maybe this one will be in
the April issue.

The title is
Single-ion nuclear clock for metrology at the 19th decimal place

Authors:
C. J. Campbell, A. G. Radnaev, A. Kuzmich, V. A. Dzuba, V. V. Flambaum,
and A. Derevianko

If you Google the title, I think you'll be able to find a pdf at
arxiv.org/pdf/1110.2490

The article discusses many factors necessary to obtain a fractional
inaccuracy approaching 1e-19.
The technique uses the 7.6 eV (ie 1.8377e15 Hz or 163 nm wavelength)
nuclear magnetic-dipole
transition in a single thorium 229  ion (3+).  This paper does not
report experimental results--I don't
think the scheme has yet been implemented.

"A pair of Th(3+) ions would be stored in a linear rf trap where strong
rf confinement places both ions
on the trap axis.  With a trap of radius 700 um, and drive frequency of
25 MHz..."

The 163nm interrogation light "might be generated by a multi-stage
sum-frequency generation of
visible or NIR light within nonlinear crystals...with the fundamental
frequency locked to an ultra-stable
optical resonator."

Laser cooling is used, using a 1088nm wavelength.  The same wavelength
is used to suppress the
Stark effect by three orders of magnitude.

Doppler shifts resulting from interrogation are reduced by alternating
the direction of the probe beam.

A gravitational shift of 1e-19 will result from a difference in height
of 1 mm.

A two week averaging time is suggested.

Dave
wa8ywq