[time-nuts] Austron GPS 2201a ops and serv manual uploaded to KO4BB site

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 22:47:09 UTC 2012

OK the updates.
The issue is the 2201 is a 75.42 Mhz IF and most of these alternates are
35.42. Hmmm sounds like adding 40 Mhz gets you the answer.
Thats exactly what I did with the odetics converter from Pete L.
Took 10 Mhz from 2201 4 X to 40 mix with 35.42 buffer and send to the 2201.
Locks like a champ.
I feel the RF chain is not all that reproducible and could be improved. So
though it works through Dougs support I have been trying out the novatels
that also have a 35.42 IF. They have one other nice feature a derived 40
Mhz pecl signal. So first attempt uses a soic pecl to ttl converter driving
a sa612 mixer and then a buffer...
However this requires a tap off of the 35.42 Mhz saw IF filter and then a
lot of gain.
The Novatel also puts out a much amplified 3.90Mhz IF.
This created a 3rd converter approach. 3.9XX + 71.111 Mhz mix and deliver.
this is a very nice approach but at this moment I have to use a significant
lock sig gen for the 71.111 Mhz.
Last item with the 2201 there really is not a C/N ratio or signal strength
to have any clue if A is better then B or C. Makes it sort of tough because
B and C do work. I just suspect they are worse then A.
Regards
Paul.