[time-nuts] WWVB BPSK Receiver Project?

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Thu Mar 15 02:12:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 05:13:47PM -0700, J. Forster wrote:
> Now it looks like they are going to kill WWVB, which is a bit more
> involved, but works.
>
> GPS is not an option without a tall tower.

	Everything you say up to this makes perfect sense, but what makes
you think GPS timing fails to work with less than a tall tower ?

	I believe it is readily possible to get to the 10-30 ns of
UTC/TAI TOD area with just reasonable sky view, not 100% as implied by a
tower. And certainly 1E-11 or 1E-12 frequency accuracy is also readily
available with less than perfect sky view depending on your taus...

	Perhaps ultimate performance requires really unobstructed sky view
in order to absolutely minimize multipath but then you are probably
talking 1E-13 or better...

> This is NOT progress, IMO.

	Virtually ANY GPS timing solution ought to easily get you inside of
a couple of microseconds of UTC/TAI, I am pretty sure it is quite difficult
to get within 10-100 us with the current AM modulation of WWVB, possibly
even 1-10  ms is difficult.   And anything close to this requires accurate
knowledge of geographic position and 60 KHz propagation corrections.

	I'm not clear how accurately one can resolve the phase transition
in the new scheme, but I suspect probably unambiguously to 1 cycle of
the 60 KHz... and from there is merely a function of how accurately one
can resolve the phase of the 60 KHz.    This potentially can supply a
much higher resolution time hack than the AM envelope.

	The real question being how important is preserving backward
compatibility with antique equipment versus better performance...

	I agree that ALWAYS is a trade off...