[time-nuts] WWVB BPSK Receiver Project?

Dennis Ferguson dennis.c.ferguson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 23:00:08 UTC 2012

On 14 Mar, 2012, at 18:08 , Brooke Clarke wrote:
> The WWB paper "New Improved System for WWVB Broadcast" given at the 43rd PTTI November 2011 is at:  http://jks.com/wwvb.pdf
>
> Part of the processing gain comes directly from the BPSK modulation and that amounts to a little over 10 dB improvement, but there's a further 18 dB gain to be had by accumulating an hours worth of data and processing that.

It is a little interesting that the PTTI paper left out some
of the interesting details one would need to actually decode
the new signal, in particular the specification of the 14
second "Sync" sequence, which is necessary to know to find
the alignment of minutes, and the value of the "60-bit
hour-synchronization code", which defines the sequence
of phase reversals in each minute's modulation in an
hour and, as I understand it, is necessary to know to
take full advantage of the hour-averaging thing.

I assume this might have been done to allow the company
which participated in the design of the signal to complete
a receiver for it before they start transmitting that
way while keeping anyone else from starting a receiver
project until after the transmissions start?

Dennis Ferguson