[time-nuts] Anyone familiar with SR-620 repair?

Skip Withrow skip.withrow at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 03:07:45 UTC 2012

You don't need expensive test equipment to find this kind of problem.  What
I use is a sheet of liquid crystal film with a transition temperature just
slightly above your room temperature.  Just lay it on the circuit board and
you can find where the power is being dissipated (even if pretty small) by
watching the colors change.

I think Omega Engineering sells a 8.5" x 11" sheet for about $18 if memory
serves me.  I have used this trick many times and it works great to find
shorted (bypass) caps.  No disconnecting anything, no milliohm meters, no 4
or 5 digit voltmeters.

Regards,
Skip Withrow