[time-nuts] Basic question re adev measurements

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Mon Mar 26 22:09:10 UTC 2012

Thanks that's helpfull.  What happened was one of my first measurement devices and the software I was using didn't handle phase wraps properly so I took pains to limit the frequency off set so I could gather data for 40,000 seconds or more without phase wraps.   Now I have equipment and software that can handle phase wraps so I haven't paid as much attention to the frequency off set.   From a noise floor perspective the newer setup seems to be as good or better than the old one but I suspect there is another source of error that I am missing.  After a few runs at lower frequency off sets with the newer equipment the adev numbers seemed to go down but it is likely a co incidence.  I'll have to see what other error sources I can find.  Something to keep me busy in my non work time.

Regards
Mark Spencer