[time-nuts] CW12-TIM vs M12M and the world

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 20:51:05 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

I use one of our Fury's here with selected OCXO and M12M GPS for ADEV
plots. The M12M data I quoted earlier was published in papers by CNS (links are
in the time-nuts archives) as they were testing the M12 against USNO and
LEA-6T  etc.

In terms of M12M versus M12+, we did not see much of a timing improvement,
maybe a tiny bit. But there was a big improvement in GPS sensitivity, lock
time,  thermal stability (this is probably the biggest improvement as they
are using a  much better TCXO now), and lower power consumption.

Also, attached please find two plots of an FTS250 unit with TCXO, phase
noise, and ADEV. This unit is now on Digikey for $687.

I will try to post longer ADEV data later. The unit was powered form a
low-noise 3.3V regulator, and the three power pins were filtered with
high-quality ferrites to avoid supply cross talk. Still the phase noise looks
pretty ugly in my opinion. ADEV is not too bad for a TCXO, but even breathing on
the unit will make it jump massively of course. Also note that they seem to
 "jump" their TCXO from time to time by 10's of ppb, I specifically chose
an ADEV  measurement where that did not happen, if it happens the ADEV plots
go to  10E-09's or worse of course.

Bye,
Said

In a message dated 3/30/2012 13:20:12 Pacific Daylight Time,