[time-nuts] Opera coordinator has resigned

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Mar 31 20:34:11 UTC 2012

jfor at quikus.com said:
> It was happenstance that the OPERA connector was mated enough to work, but
> not enough to work properly.

A while ago, I was thinking that half the problem was a design error.  But
then I couldn't figure out how to do it right.  Maybe monitoring the pulse
height would have caught this error.  Maybe a different encoding scheme would
be easier to monitor.

I've worked with fibers for communications, but that was many years ago.  The
receivers have AGCs.  If you monitor the AGC control voltage you should be
able to catch things like loose connections.  I don't think we ever did that.
 We did monitor the error rate.  It was always 0.

But that adds another level of complexity.  Checking/monitoring is good.
Complexity is evil.  How do you decide?