[time-nuts] Setting up PRS10 with M12+T GPS

Jerry Mulchin jmulchin at cox.net
Wed May 2 19:46:03 UTC 2012

I need some guidance from the collective.

I just finished rebuilding my PRS10 lab standard and it is now using a M12+T GPS module.
I have completed my site survey and it is now in "hold position mode", TRAIM is enabled
with 500ns alarm setting and the 1PPS is enabled during non-TRAIM alarm conditions.

The PRS10 is set for default 1PPS steering, but all of the other parameters are just as
I received the unit 5 years ago.

My questions are these;

1.) Should I reset the PRS10 to its Default settings or just adjust selected parameters to
align the unit for proper operation with the M12+T unit? And if that is the case, what parameters
need adjusting?

2.) Are there any special settings, other than what WinOncore sets, that I should make to the
M12+T unit?

3.) After all this is completed, how do I know that the PRS10 is properly tracking GPS and
maintaining frequency accurately? I don't have a Cesium reference, but I do have an un-disiplined
LPRO-101, but I don't think that really helps me determine frequency accuracy.

I will be adding the sawtooth correction eventually to the M12+T 1PPS output, but observed
negative sawtooth with WinOncore shows +/- 14ns changes with some bridging occasionally.

While I don't ever want to claim NIST traceability, I would like to be a close as possible, and I
guess that is the bottom line need here. So what else do I need to do to get as close as possible?

Thanks for any help.

Jerry Mulchin