[time-nuts] Faster than light of a different type

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue May 8 03:45:09 UTC 2012

cls at employees.org said:
> one more thing, people need to learn to hit the "delete" key if they  don't
> like a particular email.  get over it.

I don't think that's a reasonable approach.  Yes, of course, we should all be
more tolerant.  But that's only half the story.

There is an interesting problem with technical discussion lists, bboards,
usenet groups, web forums, whatevers.  In some sense, success is related to
the number of people signed up.  On the other hand, once you get enough
people, the signal to noise ratio often falls off a cliff.  A (strong) hint
of the problem is bursts of noise like the recent events here.

The problem with saying just-hit-delete is that many of the people with
technical skills/opinions/ideas that I want to hear from are not very
tolerant of low signal/noise.  So they leave the group rather than pound on
their delete key.

I think there is a fundamental truth for this area.  It may be a physical
constant.  It's at least a good PhD topic.  For any large list there will be
some amount of traffic (like this message) that is grumbling about the "bad"
traffic on the list.  At best, it's the list operator/moderator occasionally
(preemptively?) reminding people to stay on topic.

It's something like 1/e for the max throughput of an Aloha network.  If you
beat up on the noisy people so they are less noisy, the list will grow to
include enough new people to fill in the spots that were previously quiet.
It would be interesting to study the timing of the noise bursts and/or the
relation to people signing up or leaving a list.

I've seen similar problems in standards groups.  Initially, the group is full
of smart geeks with good ideas.  They are cooperating to try to solve an
interesting problem.  Then some not-so-sharp guy gets sent to make sure his
company's products are blessed.  As the group turns to politics, the smart
guys leave, their company sends a lawyer to replace them, and things spiral
downhill.

One thing that might help is if everybody would get in the habit of scanning
all their mail before responding to anything.  The idea is that if a
discussion explodes while you are sleeping (or away from your mail for
whatever reason), you will learn that a topic has exploded before you
contribute your wise-ass or me-too comment.  Even if your answer is technical
and valuable, you might notice that somebody has already said exactly what
you were about to say.