[time-nuts] Faster than light of a different type

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue May 8 05:07:39 UTC 2012

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> I wonder if the nature of email and how it gets read has any effect on
> usenet lists.

> Think back to expensive dialup days.. you'd dial up, download the batch,
> and then hangup.  So you'd go through all the mail (almost like a  digest)
> before responding.

I think that depends upon the individual.  Do you scan everything before
responding, or do you process (and respond) to messages one at a time as you
first read them?

> Now zap forward and you're reading on an iPhone, which tends to promote  a
> more "interactive" style of usage.

Are smart phone mail GUIs buggy/broken?  Do they show you that there are N
more messages in this thread before you get a chance to respond?

Maybe we need to beat on people with phones and get them to wait until they
get home to a real mail system before they respond to anything that will go
to a large list.  How about politely rejecting anything that includes "Sent
from my xxxx" unless there is a magic word in the Subject?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.