[time-nuts] Can M12+T be improved?

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Wed May 9 21:49:53 UTC 2012

> In message <727909549.133407.1336592785570.JavaMail.mail at webmail11>,
> billdobson
> @uk2.net writes:
>
>>   The idea is to remove the onboard TCXO and replace it by a
>>   16.368MHz clock synthesysed from the OCXO,
>
> I asked one of the motorola engineers about this long time ago for
> the UT+, and he said pretty flatly that it wouldn't work.
>
> He said that it is not really a TCXO but an XO with it's temperature
> measured and the frequency looked up in a table in the onboard
> microcontroller, and therefore the temp-calibration would have to
> be redone and he wouldn't tell me the commands to do so.
>
> Those commands may have leaked subsequently, and the M12 may be
> different from the UT in this respect, but I doubt it is enough
> to just preplace the TCXO.

So the UT+ really has a "synthetic" TCXO. Having a OCXO that should not be
needed. Where is the temp sensor? Is it possible to disable?

There is an old article where an Oncore VP is phase locked to an external
Cs oscillator.

     http://www.pttimeeting.org/archivemeetings/1999papers/paper35.pdf
     http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/ptti2000/paper9.pdf

--