[time-nuts] Why 9,192,631,770 ??

Don Lewis dlewis6767 at austin.rr.com
Wed May 9 22:45:06 UTC 2012

Thanks, all ...this thread has helped me a lot.

It reinforces my beliefs of what a 'second' is ...what we were taught from
day 1 in school:

One solar day/86,400 (A 'solar' day being an earth solar day)

So as I try to rationalize all this in my mind, ...a good cesium unit is
just a sophisticated 'counter'.  The counter gate is just the solar day.

It's interesting to note (to ask?): When did someone get smart enough to
start measuring 1/86thousthanth of a day, ....That starts needing a standard
in itself.

-Don
Austin, TX

(When we go to Mars we'll need a few more cesium 'counts' , btw.)