[time-nuts] question about Thunderbolt geo acuracy

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu May 10 16:33:41 UTC 2012

On Thu, 10 May 2012 17:01:48 +0200
bg at lysator.liu.se wrote:

> > On Thu, 10 May 2012 22:50:15 +1000
> > swingbyte <swingbyte at exemail.com.au> wrote:
> >
> >> Hope this isn't too chat roomy, however, I have need of a survey precise
> >> geolocation type gps.  I was wondering if the precise timing abilities
> >> extend to its precision in position output?  I have a thunderbolt and
> >> one of those conical white aerials from china and would like to know if
> >> this combination will give me accurate height data.
> >
> > How fast do you need it?
> >
> > One project i'm involved with uses a LEA6-T with its phase data output
> > and averaging over several hours to get x/y resolutions in the 2-4mm
> > range.
> > I'm quite sure you can do something similar with altitude as well.
>
> That is relative positions over a baseline of ca 100m. Not absolute
> positions.

The "Baseline" is definitly larger than just 100m. the current testing
field is spread over the side of a mountain... I haven't looked at the
scale of the map, but i'd say it was somewhere in the range of 2-5km.

I do not know whether they use fixed reference stations. I am not aware
of any.

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?