[time-nuts] Clocks for Audio gear

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Thu May 10 19:58:30 UTC 2012

One interesting note however. Years ago we had a standard old 4040
ripple counter in our shop that displayed a low occurrence of jitter
of several times it's input frequency period at it's lowest frequency
output (Sort of what you are describing below). I wish I had the
numbers handy, but the output would be good for most of the time, then
every once in a while it would jump to a longer delay. It was hard to
catch with a scope, but when we measured every single pulse width it
showed up fairly well. The high speed clock (A TTL OSC in a can) never
skipped, as far as we know.
We never did figure that one out. From what I remember we switched IC
manufacturers, and the problem when away.

Dan