[time-nuts] wwvb weak on east coast especially when the pre-amps under wa...

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Tue May 15 09:08:21 UTC 2012

I really don't know who actually made it, what we generally  used came from
RS Components as an aerosol spray and Farnell carried a similar  product.

It was an RS "own brand" product, indicated as suitable for protecting
circuit boards and probably marked up as something  exciting, like "printed
circuit board spray":-)
I've just checked the RS web site and can't find anything similar to what I
 remember, but it was quite a long time ago, probably over thirty years
ago when I first specified it and at least ten since I had any  involvement.

I wasn't looking to satisfy any particular requirement other  than my own
specification, there was no certification or  compliance requirement in this
instance so using a generic product wasn't an  issue, but it checked out ok
and, on some sites at least, the protected  boards would have run
continuously for 20 years plus, so I guess it did a  reasonable job:-)

Anyway, we've rather drifted off topic again and I wasn't intending to do
that, but it's good to hear that Paul seems to be close to up and running
again.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR

In a message dated 15/05/2012 08:07:12 GMT Daylight Time, attila at kinali.ch
writes:

On Mon,  14 May 2012 19:01:55 -0400 (EDT)
GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote:

> I  can't remember now exactly what this stuff was called, but it  was
> readily available in the UK from both RS and Farnell as an aerosol
plastic  spray
> that provided a good barrier but was a bit more  flexible than the  usual
MOD
> spec conformal coatings.
> It  melted easily under a soldering iron, albeit with a foul  pong:-), so

> reworking was no problem, and resisted moisture remarkably   well.....

Do you mean "Plastik 70" or "Urethan 71" from Kontakt  Chemie?

At least that's what we use when we do not have high  requirements.
For implants we usually use a parylene coating, which does a  very
good job in keeping the moisture out that the epoxy lets  trough.

Attila  Kinali