[time-nuts] Motorola Emulation ( Was Trimble Resolution SMT -, good/bad/indifferent?)

Adam Feigin awf at iis.ee.ethz.ch
Thu May 17 09:03:09 UTC 2012

> From: SAIDJACK at aol.com
> To: time-nuts at febo.com
>
> I figured out that the unit fluke.l sells is running firmware to  emulate
> the Motrola M12+ receiver or similar. So WinOncore 12 does work, and I  can
> get the following receiver ID:
>
> COPYRIGHT 2008 Trimble Navigation Ltd.
> SFTW P/N # 0000
> SOFTWARE VER # 0.03.0
> SOFTWARE REV # 00
> SOFTWARE DATE  04/27/2009
> MODEL #    3011
> HDWR P/N # 0000
> SERIAL #   20393136
> MANUFACTUR DATE  06/05/2009
> OPTIONS LIST    0000

I'm very curious. I've now seen 2 postings with 2 different GPS modules
(this one, and the Navman) which supposedly emulate Motorola Binary
mode. These should (as confirmed above??) allow the use of these with
WinOnCore and directly with NTP, assuming that enough of the protocol is
emulated to allow drop-in replacement. Has anyone tried this, including
setting TRAIM, satellite angle, etc with WinOnCore in MotBin mode, and
seeing the performance (especially in comparison to Native TSIP or
Jupiter Binary)?

I'd consider using these to replace some of my aging UT+ Oncores.....