[time-nuts] USGS: GPS for seismic work

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun May 20 05:22:18 UTC 2012

info at blackmountainforge.com said:
> They also use GPS units for tectonic shift.  Put a unit on each plate and
> measure the difference between them.  When it gets to be a large enough
> number, something, somewhere will slip and you will have a quake.

Yes, but that's the DC term.

The seismologists and surveyors are real good at using GPS for that.  The
standard setup involves post processing.

I'm not a wizard in that area.  (not even close)

Another gadget that I saw was a "two color" laser ranging setup.  It was good
for 1 mm over 5 km.  (ballpark)

The second color lets them do temperature corrections similar to the way L1
vs L2 does ionosphere delay corrections.

I saw another booth with an antenna picture labeled "12 Mbs".  That seemed
off scale for seismic data.  When I asked he said it was for relaying many
local sensors to the central data collection setup.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.