[time-nuts] Serial port server .. any interest in a write up on using ?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue May 22 20:44:16 UTC 2012

ed_palmer at sasktel.net said:
> I've played with a Lantronix single port server and a Digi 16 port  server
> with no problems for simple COM port emulation.  But I wonder if  they would
> work well with an NTP server.  Has anyone tested that?  Is  the network
> delay a problem due to either amount of delay or variation  in the delay?

I haven't done the experiment.

If your network is lightly loaded, there shouldn't be much jitter.  All bets
are off if your network is overloaded.

I think it depends upon your goal.  If your target is a few 10s of ms, I'd
expect them to work.  If your target is a few microseconds, I'd expect
problems.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.