[time-nuts] Serial port server .. any interest in a write up on using ?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue May 22 23:13:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Pete Lancashire
<pete at petelancashire.com> wrote:
> I've never though about using one to distribute the 1PPS for NTP. Its
> a pity there isn't enough umph inside one of these
> little Linux boxes to implement NTP.

How "little" is the linux box?  NTP runs fine on my 1.8Ghz Atom
powered box.  It even runs on the ARM powered router.   I've never
seen a box to small.  Even a smart phone is over kill

But, no, you can't distribute PPS over the network.  It will be so
poor that NTP will reject it.   Or to put it another way it will bee
so poor that you may as well not use it, just connect to another NTP
server.

In fact, an NTP to NTP connection over the same network would be
better then a PPS connection over the same network because with the
NTP to NTP case the delay is measured

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California