[time-nuts] Sulzer 5A & 5P PSU/battery question

lists at lazygranch.com lists at lazygranch.com
Sat Nov 3 01:49:40 UTC 2012

It has been my experience with nicad and NiMH, the higher the cell capacity, the shorter the battery life. Not for cycles, but in terms of years.

I designed a charger chip for bridging applications. Bridging batteries are used to maintain a system while you swap battery packs. The batteries used in a bridging scheme have poor volumetric energy density. (Capacity based on volume.) These bridging batteries come equipped with leads, that is they are intended to last the life of the device.

My gut feeling is if you want nicad or NiMH batteries that last a long time, go for batteries designed for fast charging like those used in remote control cars.

Stating the obvious, but just in case, any pack you roll yourself should use batteries with tabs on them. Never solder directly to a battery. If the battery doesn't come with tabs attached, you need to get them from a battery house with electroweld capability.

I've use TNR Technical for battery pack construction. But I wouldn't rule out other vendors. This isn't exactly rocket science unless you need to mount a thermistor in the pack.