[time-nuts] getting a grip on 10811 drift (beginner-ish question)

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Nov 5 16:51:55 UTC 2012

Hi

Sounds very normal to me.

The EFC voltage can be converted directly to a frequency change. There are
enough variants of the 10811 that checking what you have is probably the
best idea. A good guess is that it tunes 0.2 ppm over the full EFC range.

To check the OCXO - break the loop, hook up a counter and take the EFC to
each end of it's range. Lastly, ground the EFC. The three readings should
give you a good idea of the gross sensitivity of the 10811 you have. For a
more accurate number, step off the voltage in 1 volt steps and measure the
frequency at each step.

Yes, you need a counter to do the measurement. It does not have to be
anything super fancy. It does need to be able to "see" 1x10^-8 at 10 MHz.
With a computing counter not to hard. With a conventional counter, you need
a gate time of 10 seconds or more.

Bob