[time-nuts] Can a VNA be a high resolution frequency counter

Azelio Boriani azelio.boriani at screen.it
Wed Nov 14 13:23:24 UTC 2012

The frequency accuracy is related to the conversion process, the sampling
process and the computation that follows. In a sampling VNA the frequency
is extracted after the FFT, I suppose, so I don't think that sampling VNAs
can do any better than a real frequency counter. Sweeping spectrum
analyzers seems to stop for some time the sweep at the marker and route the
IF to a real counter, when the counter is called in: this should be more
accurate.