[time-nuts] Inexpensive modular gps with 1pps

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Nov 16 06:34:16 UTC 2012

There seems to be a nascent market for small GPS receivers in the "DIY
drone" hobbyist sector.  I stuffed one of the modules from
http://store.diydrones.com/category_s/10.htm (more info at
http://store.diydrones.com/3DR_GPS_LEA_6_p/br-3drlea-6.htm ) into a small
plastic project box and added a USB cable to the appropriate pins on the
LEA-6H module.

In this case I wanted NMEA data rather than 1-pps, but 1-pps is available as
well.   At the time I was looking, I didn't see a simple, ready-to-go
receiver module that had an antenna at one end and a USB virtual COM port on
the other.  Fortunately the LEA-6H's USB output worked great when I added
the cable.

-- john
Miles Design LLC