[time-nuts] Nifty "MINI TIC" for DMTD work detail Info please read

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Nov 21 02:01:31 UTC 2012

The details about matching (if any) used in the Czech DMTD would be
informative.

To avoid degrading the performance of the DMTD system below that imposed
by the mixers any isolation amps used will need a flicker phase noise
floor below that of the mixers.
Even an opamp based isolation amplifier can be at least 10dB quieter
(for offsets of 10Hz and below) than a typical minicircuits RF amp.
This is still about 10dB or so worse than a good mixer.
A well designed low gain isolation amp built with discrete transistors
can have significantly lower additive phase noise than an opamp.

To reduce the DMTD system noise one can either:

1) Carefully match all ports using series resistors, pads etc as
necessary to achieve the required isolation together with a high output
low flicker phase noise amplifier to drive the splitter

2) Use isolation amplifiers with very low flicker phase noise.

Some isolation between the 2 RF inputs of a DMTD is usually necessary to
avoid injection locking of the 2 sources being compared.

Bruce