[time-nuts] WWVB new modulation...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Fri Nov 23 17:28:38 UTC 2012

There were several companies that made WWV clocks that worked by
recovering the 100 Hz time code information.  ESE, who makes
broadcast related products, including clocks, was one.  I remember
installing several card types manufactured by various companies that
worked in computers.  I still have two of the Heathkit clocks, but
alas, they won't work at home because of my standards.

Burt, K6OQK

>From: Mike Harpe <mike at mikeharpe.com>
>

>So doesn't this put us back to the same situation as when Heathkit got
>a patent for their "Most Accurate Clock" kit that used the timecode
>from the HF signals on WWV and WWVH? No one wanted to make radio
>clocks because of the patent.
>
>Has there been any talk about how available the chip will be? My
>attitude is that I'll build whatever I want to for myself.
>
>Mike Harpe, N4PLE
>
> >> I realize this modulation scheme change is perceived as a sensitive
> >> subject. But, really, since the full scheme is fully disclosed no
> >> company has a monopoly on its use.
> >
> > Actually, I think the developing company does have patents on some of
> > the receiver implementations.  You can probably design around them.
> >

> >   My question is, will this new scheme
> >> offer enough advantages to merit the production of commercial equipment
> >> to use it, and ultimately whether low-cost equipment will be
> >> sufficiently advantageous to merit its design and production in volume
> >> like the typical WWVB digital clocks prevalent today.

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services
Glendale, California  U.S.A.
biwa at att.net