[time-nuts] Question re 1pps output on the Z3805A

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Sat Nov 24 22:42:04 UTC 2012

Greetings.   I recently acquired two Z3805A gpsdo's from the usual auction site.  (These units look like a Z3801.)

Does any one know the specified output level for the 1pps signals or have a high confidence measurement of the output voltage that they could share with me ?  (Measuring fast rise time signals is not really my forte and I don't trust my measurements of an apparent .15 volt pulse.)

The status message sent from the units via RS 232 contains a TFOM ( time figure of merit ?) variable and I've seen that phrase used in conjunction with equipment that outputs a 10 volt 1 pps pulse.

On a side note so far I'm pleased with the performance of the units (the 10 Mhz output of better of the two has a typical adev in the low 10e-12 - high 10e-13 range, and appears to be improving.)

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Regards Mark Spencer.