[time-nuts] GPS antenna in attic?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 03:08:29 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Peter Gottlieb <nerd at verizon.net> wrote:

> I'm beginning to set up in my new house and planning where all my various
> antennas are going to go.  Being a wood frame building, I was wondering if
> it was sufficient to simply mount my Thunderbolt GPS antenna high in the
> attic.

It will work but it will be far from optimal.  All you need to do is get a
big drill bit and  drill through the roof and put up an iron galvanized
pipe.  Put a pipe flange on the end and bolt the GPS antenna to that.   You
will need some metal flashing and roofing tar and then you will have a
first class setup.  You run the coax down the pipe.   The timing antennas
are pointed on top so snow falls off

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California