[time-nuts] Best phase detector / mixer for 100MHz?

Demian Martin demianm_1 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 18:11:02 UTC 2012

I asked Wenzel about mixers for phase noise measurement and they directed me
to Marki Microwave as what they use:
http://www.markimicrowave.com/2770/Mixers.aspx  I have not obtained or
tested any myself but it's a pretty solid recommendation I think.

I got this guy to add cross correlation to his FFT software suite:
http://www.hpw-works.com/  however I have not built hardware to try it. He
has a 30 day trial and its not expensive for what it is, $300. I would use
it with an ESI Juli@ card http://www.esi-audio.com/products/julia/  ($150 or
less on eBay or elsewhere) since you can be pretty sure it won't do
something to mess with the measurement and it runs at 192 KHz sample rate
quite well. Around $450 for a cross correlation analyzer. Or you can go
shopping for an old FFT with the capability and potential service nightmare.

> Thanks a lot guys for all the input!
> The nist articles was a very interesting read. I have ordered the
> minicircuits ZRPD-1 and will try to build the 2N2222A mixer to to see how
> far that will take it. I probably also will build a low noise jfet preamp
> to see if that will reduce the noise. But I probably have to go to build
> myself a crosscorrelation system to be able to <-180dBc with confidence.
Is