[time-nuts] GPS antenna in attic?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:05:24 UTC 2012

You don't need that.  Just a straight vertical pipe is perfect for a GPS
antenna.  All the outdoor are designed with the coax dropping straight down
vertical into a pipe.    All of them have a mount with pipe threads that
makes a 100% waterproof connection.    Lacking a mount, use a pipe flange
and four stainless bolts.   You will need either some sealent or a gasket
between the flange and the antenna.

Here is what it looks like on my house, using telephoto lens from down the
street
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qec0lf48occeom/DSC_3134%20copy.jpg

Notice that the coax and the connector is completely inside the pipe and
never gets wet in the rain.  Inside the attic the iron pipe transitions to
plastic conduit.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM, <lists at lazygranch.com> wrote:

> If you were going to add a pipe for coax purpose, wouldn't you want
> something like the electrical service inlet? They have a bit of a hook on
> the top to reduce water penetration.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California