[time-nuts] RFX GPSDO - Anybody played with one of these?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 1 12:56:29 UTC 2012

On 9/30/12 10:51 PM, Thomas Valerio wrote:
> Actually, it was in Nuts & Volts as well, and I was thinking about posting
> a similar query to the list, but my incentive and my interest pretty much
> went negative when my cursory investigation revealed that price
> information appeared to be non-existent.  IMHO for pretty much
> *everything* that is for sale, if you have to ask for the price it is a
> scam.  The message that I get from non-existent pricing information is
> that this product's price/value proposition can't stand on it's own, the
> only way you will be convinced to purchase, at a usually inflated price
> point, is after the snake oil sales people have had a chance to get their
> spiel out.

I don't find that to be the case for connectorized RF components.
Virtually all manufacturers have a listing of most of their parts and
data sheets, but very few have a "price list" online.  MiniCircuits is a
notable exception.  Yes, well established piece parts might have pricing
from a distributor, as well.

But for a lot of new components, the final price might not be set yet,
and may also depend on your specific requirements. A mfr might not want
to commit to a 10,000 piece production run and hope that their eventual
customer didn't want a particular inspection or test that they decided
not to do.

It's also the case that for some of these components, they're not
available in small quantities.  I've called many a mfr up for some
product aimed at the wireless industry and asked about pricing, and
their question is "how many thousand a month will you be using"..