[time-nuts] Tracking NTP displacement and correlationbetweentwo clients.

Christopher Brown cbrown at woods.net
Fri Oct 5 18:23:56 UTC 2012

That is his point.

Initial time comes from MB clock.

System (OS) time is set from that at boot.

During NTP startup for a client it is normal to do a "ntpdate" to hard
set the OS clock (direct one time set).

>From there ntpd would track and adjust.

HOWEVER, there are limits to how much ntpd will skew the clock to keep
it in sync.  If the OS clock is drifting faster than this amount ntpd
will not be able to adjust it fast enough.

Think bad hardware or buggy BIOS, OS clock ends up running too fast or
too slow for ntpd to compensate for.