[time-nuts] 57600 baud rate with Basic etc

Michael Tharp gxti at partiallystapled.com
Wed Oct 10 15:55:02 UTC 2012

On 10/10/2012 11:49 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> No easy solution. Serial com is still with us because it's a lowest common
> denominator. I'm sitting here coding it into a new product right now (once
> the uber super compiler finishes a build). It's supported on just about
> every chip set in the universe. I suspect it will outlive the cockroaches.

Basic serial has its merits, but it's regrettable that RS-232 came out
on top. RS-422 (or full-duplex RS-485, not much difference) would have
been a much better choice. Differential so it has good noise resistance,
and it doesn't use weird voltages (-12V? come on...)

It all looks the same from the software side though. Bytes in, bytes out.

-- m. tharp