[time-nuts] GPS splitter measurements

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 23:22:41 UTC 2012

Azelio,
Not at all the satellite splitters can be smart or passive. I use a passive
so it has 1 dc path. But all of the other ports have dc blocks built in.
The smarter units will direct the highest DC to the antenna. Its really
diodes and I stay clear of those. To smart for there own good.
Plus with 3.3v and 5 v... it gets messy. I actually use the whole thing as
a passive. Have a line amp ahead of the splitter to make up for splitter
loss. Feed it with its own supply that also feeds the antenna.
On some gps units you do have to add a dc load to trick them into believing
an antenna is connected.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL