[time-nuts] RasberryPi, timing and GPS receivers

xaos at darksmile.net xaos at darksmile.net
Tue Oct 16 22:26:15 UTC 2012

Michael,

Thank you for your most valuable information.
This is why time-nuts is so amazing!

My goal is actually two-fold.

First, I would like to have a NTP server that I can easily
hook up (well, as easily as possible) without
dedicating a Linux server each time.

My personal use would require 3 separate NTP servers
because I am a time-nut and stratum 2 is not an option.

The idea here is to create a smart piggy-back architecture
where the CPU/Ethernet sits on the bottom
with (perhaps) a few modules on top of that
with GPS right on top (let's call it the penthouse).

For obvious reasons I would put the Power supply
separately.

So we are looking for a very small footprint
NTP server.

Now, I thought the RasberryPi would be ok
even though I did not like the limitations you
mentioned as well. It is very popular.

You mentioned the Olimex olinuxino. Wow!
This is a thing of beauty indeed!

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A13/A13-OLinuXino/

I really like this board.

My second goal is that if I go to the
trouble of creating a GPS-daughterboard and all that
I'd like to have other people use it as well
and maybe I would make a small batch.

Cost wise this should be in the 10-20 dollar range tops.

I think I will do some research on this board and maybe
order one. It looks very promising.

I wonder if I can replace the crystal with a better
high stability one.

-George