[time-nuts] RasberryPi, timing and GPS receivers

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 23:49:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

>> One does NOT need a dedicated server for NTP.  NTP can run on a linux system
>> that is also a web and mail server or on e  linux desktop system that you
>> use for web surfing and web browse ring, just as long as the box stays
>> running and you don't turn it off.
>
> It's been discussed before, but probably worth repeating.
>
> Don't overlook the cost of power.  If you have an old power-hungry CPU that
> you use for mail and web, leaving it on all the time can cost a lot.

Yes.  You are right.  that is why I posted a like to this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121442
this board uses very little power and as you say will pay for itself
quickly.  You can reast your hand of the heat sink and notice there is
no fan.  It uses just a few watts. and can run VMware, and multiple
servers

> The
> payoff time for replacing it with a low power system can be as low as a year
> or two.
>

> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

Chris Albertson