[time-nuts] Followup (still want a GPS-type NTP refclock)

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 22:04:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Sarah White <kuzetsa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm ok wow. That all sounds pretty good. I'm confused about one or two
> things though...
>
> 1) I'm planning to mount the antenna indoors. Will be pressed up into
> the skylight here in the living room / den with cable management...
>
> Pretty sure the landlord doesn't want an antenna mast mounted on the
> roof, yard, etc...
>
> Would be scared to attempt this anyway because I don't know how to set
> up a proper array of lightning rods / grounding / surge protection / etc.

Indoor antennas can work.  It depands on the details.  Hopefully the
skylight looks to the south.  BTW that thin sheet of plastic that
makes the skylight window will not protect from lightening.  It makes
little difference.

> 2) salvaged power "cube" ... I don't really know what that means:

It means those "plug-in" power suply boxes that plug into a wall
outlet and have a coaxial power plug.  They are use to power cell
phone charges and notebook computers and you name it.   Most people
have many of those around the hose.  The output voltage will be
printed in the cube

With the M12M it is not quite plug and play.  For one thing it is a 3
volt, not a 5 volt device although it does have a 5 volt pass thought
for using a 5V antenna

You will have to read the user manual, down load that first.   The
older UT type GPS is the same thing as the m12m but uses 5V and sells
for about 1/2 the price. but still it is NOT a comsummer level box.
It is a part that requires some knowlege to asemble into  usable
product.
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California