[time-nuts] HP 10811 Tuning Diode

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 19 23:34:51 UTC 2012

Rick, Adrian, I think there are a number of possibly material related areas
that could cause a varicap to go noisy but I have no experience of them
First a reversed biased diode makes quite a good particle detector :-)) and
remanent radioactive atoms in say the glass could cause localised
avalanches. This would seem unlikely because it would affect a whole batch
but possible. I also wonder what the effect of strain, crystaline
dislocations etc might do to the very small current flowing in a very high
impedance. These can lead to odd effects when they penetrate the junction..
It could just be an unfortunate sample. I suspect the level of noise current
is way below any specified meaured value.

Alan
G3NYK