[time-nuts] Are serial port headers standardized?

Sarah White kuzetsa at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 14:15:22 UTC 2012

On 10/20/2012 10:06 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> The IDC to 9 pin cables are a generic / cheap item on eBay or from Newegg. Less than $3 delivered last time I needed any.
>
> Bob
((...snip...))

Motherboard manual said:
"Connect one side of a switching cable to the header and then attach the
serial COM device to the other side of the cable."

... is "IDC" another way of saying this? what does the acronym represent?

Also, pricing...  yeah, I had noticed that they're not very expensive,
and posted this, trying to figure out if they're mostly all just about
the same:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158115

Someone pointed out it was the low-profile version (I wasn't paying
attention when I linked it earlier) so I'll look a bit later for the
full-slot type.

Thanks for answering my original question asked in the topic. "generic"
(standardized?) is what I was hoping for.

Regards,
Sarah