[time-nuts] documentation for beginners (was: Followup (still want a GPS-type NTP refclock))

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Oct 22 01:05:44 UTC 2012

tvb at LeapSecond.com said:
> It doesn't often matter to me if that information resides on personal
> servers, or a KO4BB wiki, or as occasional postings to the time-nuts mailing
> list. Google does the work of finding it regardless. The key point is that
> people take the time to document and share what they've learned so google
> has something interesting to find.

My 2 cents...

It really helps if there is a FAQ or Wiki type starter page.  It doesn't have
to say everything.  It should have many links to other web pages.  The idea
is some place that is reasonably high-quality where you can get started.

Sure, google will find stuff, but you have to know what to search for.  A
FAQ/Wiki starting page tells you the terms you might want to search for.

For example, if you were a beginner time-nut, how would you know that you
should search for TBolt or Thunerbolt and that if you searched for
Thunderbolt you needed to add Trimble or you would get a lot of other junk?

A glossary can also be a wonderful resource.  Again, it can have links to
other info, but a quick description tells you whether that is a term you are
interested in and/or how it fits in.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.