[time-nuts] WWVB New Modulation five cent demodulator / carrier regenerator ?

Dale J. Robertson dale at nap-us.com
Mon Oct 22 03:20:57 UTC 2012

Paul,
Did you move the frequency up by driving it with a function generator or by using a 4.56 or 9.12 MHz crystal? I'm thinking that maybe the quadrature phase lock is accomplished by an internal varacter or some other mechanism for 'pulling' the on-chip oscillator. That wouldn't work if you were  injecting the clock
Dale

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 21, 2012, at 11:08 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jameco had them on sale for 20 cents each so I purchased some.
> Moved the clock up frequency for 60 Khz and injected the 60Khz BPSK. (I
> built a simulator) It did not track and in general produced noise. I
> understand you can use 2 frequencies to drive it and I tried both from
> synth gens.
> I was looking at the RDS decoders and the data seemed to be differential.
> Set it aside at that point. I am curious as to why it did not work. Like
> everyone here would be great if it worked....
> Regards
> Paul
> WB8TSL
>
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Dale J. Robertson <dale at nap-us.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul,
>> I'm trying to understand your reference to 'differential BPSK'  all the
>> RDS references I've looked at indicate a 180 degree phase shift just like
>> WWVB. I'm thinking that differential and antipodal are just different words
>> for the same thing
>> Regards,
>> Dale
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Oct 21, 2012, at 10:03 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Because it use differential BPSK. I have a number of them and was trying
>>> it. There is a test pin that might make it useful.
>>> Regards
>>> Paul