[time-nuts] WWVB New Modulation five cent demodulator / carrier regenerator ?

Dale J. Robertson dale at nap-us.com
Tue Oct 23 11:34:07 UTC 2012

OK,
According to the Phillips original data sheets quick reference chart the
chip wants to see around 1mV of input signal.
The output will not be a digital data stream with ones and zeros
corresponding to the phase of the input.
Instead, from what I can glean from the datasheet, it will be a pulse of
period 60KHz/48 every time the phase flips. Additionally there are outputs
of the costas loop recovered carrier, recovered carrier divided by 48 and a
quality indicator which I believe indicates that the loop is 'locked up'
I believe that to recover the data stream (assuming there's a good signal
etc.) you just need to feed the output into a toggle flip flop. The polarity
of the data at this point would be ambiguous and some other aspect of the
encoding (framing sync, checksum etc.) would have to be used to establish
proper data polarity.
It seems there are several possible uses of  this chip. It might make a good
start on the 'brains' of an automatic phase flipper to be inserted into boat
anchor WWVB based frequency standards. The 60KHz output could form the basis
for an 'on the cheap' scratch built frequency standard.
I hope to get my chips pretty soon so I can see if any of this is really
real.
Dale NV8U