[time-nuts] Re timing performance of (windows) servers

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 25 11:37:01 UTC 2012

In my experience (in my day job) many / most timing issues with widows pc's and servers revolve around the sync method breaking (and often the failure not being detected) rather than accuracy issues when the sync method is working.  As Magnus pointed out authentication methods such as Kerberos require a time accuracy with a few minutes (iirc the default windows 2008 server config requires time to be synced within 5 min for Kerberos to work.).  A lack of time sync can cause this threshold to be reached surprisingly quickly.

Virtual servers also may also introduce their own issues into this process.

Here is a link to a kbase article from VMware that may give some insight into some of these potential issues (re VMware.)

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1318

If anyone wants to discuss this further I'd be happy to do so off list, but I'm on course in Brazil this week so there may be some delays (:

Regards Mark Spencer