[time-nuts] Disciplining a TCXO

Tom Harris celephicus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 00:46:35 UTC 2012

Greetings,

I have been asked the viability of using a vanilla TCXO, with an
accuracy of +/- 0.5ppm (+/- 15 secs per year) that is disciplined
occasionally (perhaps only once a month) with a GPS module. The
application is for an analogue clock, which powers up a GPS module
every so often to learn the drift characteristics of the TCXO, which
it then compensates to generate indicated time. The TCXO's that I have
played with have a very predictable aging characteristic over time, at
least in a normal home/office environment.

--

Tom Harris <celephicus at gmail.com>