Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Sat Oct 27 14:51:59 UTC 2012

There are two ways to measure the carrier frequency using a Spectrum analyzer.
1)  have bandwidth sufficient to capture all the sidebands produced
by the FM signal.
2)  Have your bandwidth set very narrow, 10Hz or so and tune it directly
on the carrier frequency. The carrier frequency should stand out at the
wide bandwidth and then zoom in on it when using the spectrum analyzer.

There are situations with PSK signals where the carrier is always
canceled out. As there are certain modulation indexes when a pure tone
is being used where the carrier goes to zero. But with music or voice
modulation this will not be a problem.

   I have notices that only one digital TV station here in Lexington KY is
right on. Some are hundreds of Hz off.

73
Bill wa4lav