[time-nuts] Rubidium as radio reference

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Wed Oct 31 00:28:00 UTC 2012

I know that some here are Amateurs and have used external sources to
provide a more accurate reference for a receiver. So, I have a noob
question or two.

Is the programmable FE-5680A suitable to replace the 12.8 MHz
reference in a Midland XTR? If so, where do I feed the rubidium into
the circuit (see attached screen clip)? X101 is the 12.8 MHz crystal
and R107 is used for temperature compensation.

What I have in mind is to use the XTR radio for measuring off-the-air
carrier frequency error. It's just part of a project that I've been
thinking of doing. Things are still in the planning and experimenting
stage.

Joe Gray
W5JG