[time-nuts] Recommendations for a newbie?

Azelio Boriani azelio.boriani at screen.it
Fri Sep 7 20:08:54 UTC 2012

Welcome aboard,
yes, there is no FAQ about how to start in this hobby... should I try to
implement one? Anyway, start with a Trimble Thunderbolt (aka TBolt), later
you will know why it is highly recommended (direct OCXO disciplining and LH
software support, mainly). I have a Z3815A with the famous (or infamous)
E1938A "hockey puck" OCXO. They are all GPSDOs and there should not be any
difference among them but, yes, there are differences in their performance
and being a time-nut means test and find out. Then there are GPS
disciplined Rubidiums, but take this step after the first GPSDO is
correctly installed and stabilized. Start with the antenna: find a suitable
place, with a 360 deg clear view of the sky, a satellite TV cable (sounds
unusual, but works great).