[time-nuts] Recommendations for a newbie?

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Sep 8 13:26:33 UTC 2012

Hi

Ok, I've got at least one of all of these sitting in the basement. They are a very much mixed bag. Some of the HP's are quite good. Others not so much. The variation isn't so much model to model. They vary unit to unit. The TBolt's vary by year. Roughly they group as pre-2001, 2001 to 2003, and post 2004. The HP's also seem to die a bit quicker than the TBolts.  I'd *guess* the failure rate is at least 3X.

On a good unit, the HP Smart Clock software does a better job than the TBolt stock software. On a unit with "issues" the software chugs (switches settings) a lot. A manually tuned TBolt in a good environment can do very well. In a poor environment it's going go look like a boosted single oven 3801, but not be as good as the true double oven (MTI OCXO) version of the 3805.

The strange temperature chip in the later TBolts isn't much of an issue. The chip is poorly located for temperature control. It only seems to impact the plots on Lady Heather. Trimble wasn't bothered enough by it to patch the firmware.

Bottom line, If the price is identical for all of them, go with the HP's. If the TBolt's are half (or 1/4) the delivered price of the HP's go with the TBolt. Either way, plan on getting a couple of them.

Bob